a. Cats and dogs are subject to special regulations (EC) No.998/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council.
For more information contact the nearest embassy of Italy.
b. Psittacine birds (parrots and parakeets): it is allowed, when travelling with the passenger to import into Italy 2 parrots (from the larger species) and 4 from smaller species provided accompanied by a Health Certificate, issued by a Veterinary Service of the country where the birds have been taken from, stating that:
- country of which birds are originating is free from psittacosis; or
- birds have been kept for a period of six months prior to departure under State veterinary control in a breeding park or zoological garden and that in the area within a 20 km radius no case of psittacosis occurred during the last 12 months.
1. import of aviary ornamental birds from all countries infected with Avian influenza;
2. import of meat and poultry and derived products from Thailand;
3. import of eggs and white meat from South East Asia;
4. import of live birds of any species (incl. game birds and birds of prey), eggs, feathers, meat or meat products from Croatia, Romania and all Balkan countries